The Upper School at Oakbrook fuses academic rigor with Christian values and a sense of community. Students are challenged to think deeply and creatively, research and question, express themselves confidently, develop a strong personal faith, and serve others humbly.
Students are taught to be responsible citizens where self-discipline is promoted. Students sign the Honor Code and pledge to honor academic and personal integrity and uphold the values of honesty, respect, and responsibility.
The Upper School is comprised of grades nine through twelve.
The Upper School offers a rich curriculum that is designed to provide a comprehensive and intellectually challenging academic program that prepares students to perform at the highest level in college as well as to lead and serve in the greater community.
- AP Placement Offerings: English Language, English Literature, Spanish Language, German Language, Statistics, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Biology, Physics B, US History, World History, US Government & Politics, Psychology, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Studio Art, Art History, Music Theory, Seminar, and Research.
- Senior Project/AP Cambridge Capstone: Our seniors work throughout their senior year on an individual senior project. Students may elect to do a traditional senior project or the AP Capstone research project.
- Global Scholars Institute: This is an advanced track that prepares students with a global perspective for rigorous college level study. Students completing this track will be eligible to earn the AP International Diploma.
- College Connect: Students meet with an adviser once each week to determine career interests, speak with college representatives, receive guidance in the college application process, learn of available scholarships, and other activities designed to ensure the students’ college success.
- Naviance: Naviance Family Connection, a website for students and families, provides access to online resources, communication tools and college and career collaborative activities.
As a non-denominational Christian school, Oakbrook has the unique opportunity to help our students discover what it means to live by faith. We believe that education cannot be divided into spiritual and secular components, but that all truth is God’s truth.
- Chapel: Each weekly chapel service is a time to worship through music and a message from a speaker. Speakers get their inspiration from our yearly themes.
- Christian Studies Courses: Upper School students are required to earn one full credit before graduation. Students can choose from a variety of courses to complete the requirement.
- Devotion: Students begin their morning with a devotion and prayer in homeroom.
In keeping with our core value of Community, Upper School students are encouraged to engage in our school community. Ninety percent of our Upper School students participate in some type of “beyond the classroom” experience. We are committed to educating our students to the challenges of the broader community and to foster a sense of servant leadership and responsibility.
- Missions and Ministry: Nicaragua Team, Chapel Band, FCA, school and community service projects
- Clubs and Organizations: NHS, Interact, Glee, Student Government, Model UN
- Fine Arts: Musical, choral and dance productions, band and visual arts competitions
- Academic Teams: Math and Quiz Bowl Teams, Robotics
- International Exchange: Germany, Spain, and China